Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stamping Dragon Sunday


Today I thought it would be fun to figure out how to color foil using alcohol inks. I watched a few videos to see how exactly to do it as I don't use alcohol inks all that much. 
So in the interest of remembering what I did, what I'd do differently next time, and sharing my results with you I've done a tutorial for today!!

The first step was figuring out how to start, lol. I figured I needed something to back it, so I got out my computer card stock - not as good a quality as I use on cards - and decoupaged it to the foil.



After the glue had dried I gathered the colors I wanted to use, the inking tool - it's best to use a different one from the one you use for your distress inks because of the way the inks behave differently. Also be sure you're using the felt pads for the alcohol inks, not the foam.
In retrospect, I wouldn't have used the gray ink on the silver foil...


So I decided I would use the technique of, well I actually don't know what it's called, but it's just the dabbing the color around.


See the gray doesn't really come out.


I left the edges on to that I could get the color all to the edges.


After I had all the color on the foil I used the alcohol solution and sponged that on.


I tore the foil from the back to ensure that it didn't tear off the front.


I thought it would be fun to emboss it. I used the Cuttlebug Argyle folder.


Here it is before I sanded it.


After I sanded it.


I then went back through with the ink bottle and colored the depressions a bit more to give a little more definition.


And now the completed card with Jiggy on it!



3 comments:

  1. What a great technique. I have some alcohol ink I just HAD TO have and have only used it once a really long time ago. I got it to use on glossy white paper and guess what it hasn't been used after that either.
    Sometimes we just have too many crafting toys. Or is that just me? lol.
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I want to try this! I bought 30 bottles of alcohol inks from a lady bcuz she said she wasn't using them. I keep meaning to...and haven't because it intimidates me. U made this look so easy! And, oh my how cute is that argyle folder they r sitting against??!! I am saving the link to designsbydragonfly because I have 3 nephews now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grate tutorial on how you did the fantastic background.

    ReplyDelete